The vision for “Sean’s Run from Autism” has three facets…
- To provide a fun outlet for bringing the people of our community together
- To expand awareness about Autism and its effect on individuals, families and communities
- To make a difference in the lives of individuals and families with Autism
This 5K run/walk and 10K run benefits the Autism Research and Resources of Oregon (ARRO). ARRO was founded by parents and professionals in 2000 to develop a research, treatment and services Center for individuals with Autism in Portland, Oregon. The mission of ARRO is to produce and promote a center of excellence in the field of Autism research and services in the state of Oregon. Some facts about the situation in Oregon…
- Since 1985 the number of Oregon children diagnosed with Autism has risen from 30 to 8,000 (2010).
- The more than 4,000 children in the Portland metro area who qualify as having Autism usually receive minimal educational services and limited county Developmental Disabilities case management services.
- Most medical insurance policies do not cover treatment for Autism, including the Oregon Health Plan.
- Based on emerging medical information and actual increases in the numbers qualifying for educational Autism services, the occurrence rate for Autism is rapidly increasing. It is now given by the CDC as 1 per 110 children. “It is estimated that between 1 in 80 and 1 in 240 with an average of 1 in 110 children in the United States have an ASD. Studies in Asia, Europe, and North America have identified individuals with an ASD with an approximate prevalence of 0.6% to over 1%. http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/Autism/data.html”
In Oregon the estimates are around 1 in 71.
- ARRO’s Westside Family and Community Center is the ONLY building dedicated to services focusing on improving the lives of individuals with Autism in Oregon.
Through our combined efforts, we will help ARRO expand and do even more. There is only so much we can each do individually, but as we join together, we can make a significant difference. By participating in this event, you will help ARRO reach more individuals and families affected by Autism and have a great time doing it.
For more details, please download the Vendor and Sponsorship Packet for Sean’s Run 2012